Al & Jean Howell Track & Field Scholarship
Al Howell was the head track and field coach for Chandler High School from 1963 to 1973. He served Chandler High School as its Director of Athletics from 1965 to 1975. From 1976 to 1988 he was the District Director of Athletics for CUSD. During his track and field coaching years he led Chandler’s boy track and field teams to the state championship in 1972, and a state runner-up finish in 1973. Coach was a renowned pole vault coach and the vaulters he coached broke the AZ state high school record and held it for many years during his coaching tenure. This scholarship is being established to recognize Al Howell’s memory as the head track and field coach at Chandler and his years as the director of Athletics for Chandler High School and CUSD. He passed away at age of 81 on April 27, 2010.
One award of $500.
- Female or male student
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Participation in the high school track and field program for at least two years
- Student must include a brief statement from a track & field coach at their school that summarizes their efforts within the team
- Student must plan to attend a post high school educational institution
- Submit an essay of not more than 500 words titled, “How my participation in ____________ high school’s track and field team enhanced my high school education."